What should be on my year-end checklist of items to review, know, and consider about my stock compensation?
The checklist below summarizes what you need for comprehensive year-end planning with stock compensation.
- exercises, vestings, and ESPP purchases in current year
- holdings of NQSOs, ISOs, restricted stock/RSUs, and company shares
- scheduled vestings in the year ahead, including the end of the cycle for a performance share grant and when payout occurs
- salary contributions allocated for ESPP purchases
- deadlines for option or SAR exercises and the expiration dates of option grants
- expected new grants in year ahead and ESPP enrollment/change dates
- trading windows and blackouts, company ownership guidelines, and any post-vest holding-period requirements
- your ability to spread the recognition of income from certain sources over 2017 and 2018
- your situation, including short-term cash needs that may prompt you to sell company stock and/or exercise options
- whether your decisions should be entirely tax-driven
- your outlook for both your company's stock price and your job
- how comfortable you are with your concentration in company stock and whether you should diversify
- multi-year projections for your income and taxes
- Company and brokerage firm statements, whether online or in print. You will need them for tax-return reporting.
For general financial-planning points to consider with stock compensation, see a related FAQ.