Tax Center Global Tax Guide / Glossary / Discussion / Newsletters / About Us
Register Log In

Annotated diagram of Schedule DTax errors can be costly! Don't draw unwanted attention from the IRS. Our Tax Center explains and illustrates the tax rules for sales of company stock, W-2s, withholding, estimated taxes, AMT, and more.

SARs: Taxes

Test Your Knowledge Test your knowledge with our Stock Appreciation Rights quiz.

  Articles   FAQs  

Stock Appreciation Rights 101 (Part 2)This is premium content

Bruce Brumberg
Stock appreciation rights (SARs) are garnering interest among companies. Part 2 discusses taxes, IRS concerns, and why companies like SARs.

NEW! Living And Working In Multiple States: Challenges For Mobile Employees In The USAThis is premium content

David Johnson and Mark Miller
Podcast included! Moving between US states, whether to relocate permanently or simply to travel for business, can involve tax complications for people who have stock compensation. This article presents the tax issues that you may encounter when you leave your home office and cross a state line.

Form 8949 and Sch. D diagrams! How To Report Sales Of Company Stock On Your Tax Return

myStockOptions Editorial Team
If you sold in 2015 any shares that you acquired from equity compensation or an ESPP, you will need to report the sale on the federal tax return that you file in 2016. Learn here what you must know to avoid expensive mistakes and unwanted IRS attention. Our annotated diagrams of Form 8949 and Schedule D can help you make sense of the reporting rules.

VIDEO! Tax-Return Forms And Reporting Rules For Stock Sales

Bruce Brumberg
Learn how to prevent costly tax return mistakes with this animated presentation on IRS Form 1099-B, IRS Form 8949, and Schedule D.

VIDEO! Tax-Return Reporting Of Company Stock Sales: How To Avoid Overpaying Taxes

myStockOptions Tax Team
Learn the rules for reporting stock sales on your tax return, along with costly errors to avoid if the shares you sold came from stock options, restricted stock/RSUs, stock appreciation rights, or an employee stock purchase plan. Among other issues, you must understand your "cost basis" to avoid overpaying your taxes. Running time: 8:05.

Return to top of this page

How are stock appreciation rights taxed?This is premium content

When you you exercise stock appreciation rights, depending on the plan's design and practices, you receive...

What are some year-end strategies for restricted stock, RSUs, and stock options?This is premium content

Decisions in year-end financial and tax planning depend on several factors. In this FAQ, we present several situations and some strategies that many experts suggest. Of course, you should...

W-2 diagram What will my W-2 show after I exercise stock appreciation rights?This is premium content

The gain from your SARs exercise(s) is totaled on the W-2 with other income in the following boxes...

What are the biggest mistakes related to stock appreciation rights (SARs) that I can make on my tax return, and how can I avoid them?This is premium content

It is all too easy to make costly tax-return errors that attract unwanted IRS attention. Learn how to prevent mistakes...

What are some major issues to be aware of when reporting stock sales on my tax return? Why have these issues arisen?

Major changes have occurred in the tax reporting for stock sales during the past few years, making accurate tax-return reporting more complex and difficult...

What tax statement will I receive from my broker after a sale of company stock?This is premium content

Form 1099-B or the equivalent substitute statement is necessary for the accurate completion of your tax return....

How have IRS Form 1099-B and cost-basis reporting changed for sales of stock acquired from my stock options, restricted stock, or ESPP? What do I need to do differently because of the changes?

If you sold shares during the calendar year, your brokerage firm will issue IRS Form 1099-B by mid-February of the following year. This is an important document that you must have to complete your tax return for the year of sale...

Form 8949 and Sch. D diagrams How do I report sales of shares from stock appreciation rights on my federal income-tax return?This is premium content

Whether you sell all the stock at exercise or hold the stock and later sell it, you need to complete Form 8949 and Schedule D for the year of...

In the cost basis I use to report sales of company stock on my tax return, what part comprises the W-2 income from stock compensation or an ESPP?This is premium content

When your W-2 income is added to the price you paid for the stock, this is your cost basis on your tax return. The table below presents the compensation portion of your tax basis for all types of stock grants and ESPPs...

I just sold stock that I acquired from option exercises and restricted stock vesting a few years ago. How do I rediscover the cost basis for my tax return?This is premium content

Let's first review the tax rules and the W-2 reporting. The tax basis for...

When I exercise my stock appreciation rights (SARs), will the amount of tax withheld cover the amount of tax that I must pay when I file my return?This is premium content

Employers usually withhold federal income taxes at the flat rate required for supplemental wages, which is...

If I exercise stock appreciation rights (SARs), will I need to make estimated tax payments?This is premium content

At a minimum, at the time of your SARs exercise your company will withhold taxes from the proceeds at the required federal withholding rate for supplemental income. However, depending on your income, this minimum withholding may not be enough. If so, you will need to...

UPDATES! Are my stock grants affected by the rules of deferred compensation under IRC Section 409A?This is premium content

A number of tax law provisions and interpretations that may affect your stock grants occur in...

What is the tax impact on me if my company modifies outstanding stock options or SARs, such as by extending the option term?This is premium content

With approval from the board, and perhaps also shareholders, your company can modify outstanding grants in a way that is consistent with its stock plan. However, it should avoid tax pitfalls for you and the company, such as...

For NQSOs or SARs exercised on the last business day of 2016, or for restricted stock that vests on that day, is the income taxable in 2016 or 2017?

The income will be included in tax year 2016, even if you recognize it on the last business day of the year. However, you should confirm...

I'm no longer an employee, so why is there withholding on my NQSO or SARs exercise?This is premium content

Former employees' transactions, regardless of the reason for termination, follow the same withholding and reporting requirements that apply to...

What are the federal tax-withholding rates on stock compensation? Can my company use a different rate?This is premium content

Supplemental income, such as stock compensation, is subject to one of two flat rates that are linked to rates in the income tax brackets. The rate that applies to your supplemental income depends on the...

Too much Social Security tax was withheld. How do I recover the excess amount?This is premium content

When too much Social Security tax is withheld above the Social Security wage base during a calendar year, your recovery approach depends on whether...

If I leave my company to become a consultant, retire, or take another job, will taxes be withheld from my equity grants as they were when I was an employee? What if I live in another state when I receive the income?This is premium content

Most companies base withholding on your employment status at the time of grant. If you work elsewhere or are retired at exercise or vesting, then...

My company's stock is now essentially worthless because of securities fraud by senior executives. Can I claim a casualty or theft loss on my tax return?This is premium content

A casualty or theft loss would allow you to deduct the lost amount against your ordinary income, subject to some limits. However, Treasury regulations and court rulings would probably stand in your way. Nevertheless, what you can do is...

Return to top of page