Tax Center: Restricted Stock Tax Returns

I received a notice (CP2000) from the IRS stating that, according to last year's tax return, I owe money for the sale of my restricted stock when it vested. I thought I paid all the taxes through withholding at vesting. How do I respond? This is premium content

Because the value of the shares at vesting was added to your W-2, and withholding taxes were based on that value, you thought you did not need to file Schedule D with your Form 1040 to report the sale. It is a common mistake to think this...
For access to this answer, please sign in or register.
Not Yet a Member?

This feature is a benefit of Premium membership.

Registering as a Premium member will give you complete access to our award-winning content and tools on stock options, restricted stock/RSUs, SARs, and ESPPs.

Who becomes a Premium Member? See our long list of paid subscribers.

Are you a financial or wealth advisor? Learn more about MSO Pro Membership.

View Homepage

Questions or comments? Email support or call (617) 734-1979.
We've updated our Privacy Policy, and this site uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy to learn more.