What are the top 10 questions I should ask about my stock appreciation rights?
You should know the answers to the following questions, which address specific provisions. Understanding the topics involved and the key stock plan documents will help you make the most of your stock appreciation rights (SARs) and prevent costly mistakes. On many topics, the content on this website on stock options also applies to SARs, including much of the content linked to from the questions below.
2. Is formal acceptance of the grant required? What happens if I don't accept the grant before exercise?
3. What is the vesting schedule?
4. How long is the term of the SARs?
5. What is the deadline for exercising the SARs to prevent the expiration of the grant?
6. What would happen to the SARs if I were to leave or lose my job, die, become disabled, or retire? What about a leave of absence or furlough? How do these events affect vesting and the expiration date of the SAR grant?
8. After I exercise my SARs, in what account will the shares or cash proceeds appear?
9. How does the tax withholding work? What are the tax rates for SARs?
In addition, you should understand the tax treatment of the SARs you have. You should also learn about the related W-2 reporting that stems from exercise and the tax return reporting. This website's Tax Center covers all tax topics involving stock compensation.