A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Capital Gains Tax

Tax on income that arises from the sale of a capital asset, such as company stock. Capital gains may be short-term (held 12 months or less) or long-term (held more than 12 months). Short-term capital gains are taxed at the rates of ordinary income. For the tax rates on long-term capital gains, see a related FAQ.

You must file IRS Form 8949 and Schedule D with your IRS Form 1040 tax return for any tax year in which you sell stock, regardless of whether you have capital gains.

Return to list Register Now

Try the new myStockOptions.com Glossary App! Now available for Android and iOS.

Get it on Google Play
The content is provided as an educational resource.
myStockOptions.com shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Copyright © 2000-2023 myStockPlan.com, Inc. U.S. Patent 7,353,200.
Contact editors@mystockoptions.com for licensing information